Agile Project Manager
Who We Are
Gate 39 Media, a web development and marketing agency specializing in the financial and agricultural services industries, is seeking a seasoned Agile Project Manager to coordinate the creation and management of web and mobile applications. Located in Downtown Chicago, you’ll work in a team atmosphere using the latest web technologies. We are fast-paced, results-driven, and constantly evolving to meet our clients’ needs.
We build websites as well as sales, service, and marketing solutions—from corporate presences to client and operations portals—that help businesses grow. Our solutions often integrate with leading 3rd party systems such as marketing and CRM platforms, data sources such as financial market APIs, and more. From our own software-as-a-service solutions to custom-built portals and applications, we are recognized for our innovative solutions in the financial industry.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
A tech-savvy professional with an in-depth understanding of agile software development and web technologies. You have experience in professional services, simultaneously managing external client relationships and internal development teams. You will manage small to medium-sized projects and are
accountable for successful project delivery on time and on budget. You will work with matrixed teams that include onshore, nearshore, and offshore teams to achieve our client’s vision and goals.
Organization, communication, quality, tech knowledge, issue resolution, experience (financial and ag a plus) are traits we expect along with:
- An agile mindset – You incorporate the agile values and principles into everything you do, and you understand that being agile is mindset not a methodology or practice.
- A great communicator – As a primary point of contact for both clients and the team, you’ll coordinate directly with management and clients to collect and organize technical, business and marketing requirements.
- Organization – Your ability to create timelines and assign tasks that keep everything running is obvious, but you’re able to identify potential issues and head them off before they become a real problem.
- Knowledge of tech – You’ve got a solid knowledge base of how software development and web technologies work. This gives you the ability to relate to the developers you manage, as well as an understanding of the time, effort and complexity required to complete tasks.
- Issue resolution – Stuff happens. When it does, you stay cool and find a resolution that gets things back on track.
- Experience with Website, Web and Mobile Application Development – Our tech stack includes custom WordPress websites, ecommerce, mobile apps, PWAs, portal applications, and custom web applications. You are comfortable working across technology stacks, and can “see” beyond the tasks and data to understand the full functionality required for any project.
- Experience leading a development team – This isn’t your first rodeo. You‘re affable, have established a track record of leading productive development teams, and create an environment where people love to do their best work while having fun doing it.
We’re seeking a professional and detail-oriented communicator who can:
- Be a self-starter by identifying opportunities and potential problems — addressing them effectively and efficiently
- Switch tasks effectively and work effectively with remote teams
- Write user stories to convey requirements and can identify a vague request and help the client identify and communicate what they really need
- Identify when a request out of scope and work with the client to find a fair resolution
- Manage small and medium-sized projects and be accountable for successful project delivery
- Guide projects from kick-off to completion by facilitating team productivity, managing client expectations, and providing a layer of communication between the project team and client stakeholders
- Coach the project team to become self-organizing and self-motivating; to deliver high quality results and achieve desired outcomes; to minimize complexity
- Take personal responsibility to ensure that project methodology is followed with a focus on results
- Be a professional liaison between clients and developers, collecting specifications and assets
- Set and follow timelines, implement milestones, and assign tasks to meet deadlines
- Accurately estimate project needs including people and technical resources
- Coordinate with clients and project stake holders including meetings, status reports, and testing
- Assist with the scoping potential projects and creating proposals from a technical standpoint
- Schedule meetings with onshore, nearshore, and offshore clients and developers as needed
Project Accounting and Financial Management:
- Track and report team hours and expenses to clients on a weekly basis
- Manage and update the project financials through weekly budget reports
- Approve team members’ time reports in a conscientious and timely manner
- Understand basic revenue models and cost-to-completion projections, and make decisions accordingly
- Prepare regular reports for leadership concerning schedule, quality, scope, and financial performance
Communication and Client Management:
- Facilitate team and client meetings effectively
- Hold regular meetings with project team and stakeholders
- Effectively communicate relevant project information to leadership including schedule, quality, scope, and financial performance
- Deliver engaging, informative, and well-organized presentations
- Resolve and/or escalate issues in a timely fashion
- Understand how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully
- Identify follow-on sales opportunities as they relate to your client and project
- Assist proposal efforts including project scoping and level-of-effort estimates
- Manage day-to-day client interactions, and set and manage client expectations
- Develop lasting relationships with clients that build trust and foster loyalty
- Communicate effectively with clients to identify needs and evaluate solutions
- Continually seek opportunities to increase customer satisfaction and deepen relationships
- Minimum Bachelor’s Degree REQUIRED. No exceptions; additional certifications a plus
- Minimum of 3 years in an Agile Project Manager role
- You have a thorough understanding of Agile Scrum framework and practices
- You care comfortable playing the role of scrum master
- You understand User Story Map strategies and practices
- Excellent communication skills are a MUST including both written and verbal
- Experience with project management tools such as Asana, DevOps Azure Boards, Jira, StoriesOnBoard
- Created project plans including time, resource estimates, project specs
- Ensure assigned projects are completed on-time and on-budget
- Manage project issues and risks, documenting, assessing, and planning mitigations
- Work within a PMO environment to monitor ongoing status of each project to provide coaching and guidance when necessary
- A desire to learn, motivate, and cultivate a team within a rapidly growing technology and marketing agency
Bonus Skills / Experience
- Operating knowledge of web technologies including:
- Servers and infrastructure
- APIs—how they work, ability to review documentation
- Understanding of core web technologies
- Understanding of databases, data organization, and how they communicate with web applications
- Training and Certification as a Scrum Master (e.g. CSM or PSM) is a plus
- Training and Certification as a UX Designer is a plus
- Training and Certification as a Project Manager (e.g. PMP) is a plus
- Experience in the financial services or agricultural industries is a plus
We share a commitment to excellence and a desire to work in a comfortable, friendly atmosphere, and are committed to working as part of a team to build great solutions for our clients. We are looking to add amazing folks to our team who will bring diversity across many lines, including race, ethnicity, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, disability, gender identity, sex, and country of origin.
This Contractor Position Includes:
- Casual work environment
- Supply of drinks and snacks, free weekly lunch
- Work on diverse projects
The hourly range for this position is: $75 – $100
How to Apply
Interested? Great — let’s get started! Position is currently open for immediate start. Candidates should email resume to Cezar Camba at firstname.lastname@example.org